Solicitor's Permit

Anyone planning to go door-to-door within the City of Portage for the purpose of selling a product or service, or requesting donations, must first apply for a permit through the City Clerk's Office.  Permits issued shall be valid for no longer than one year.  For questions whether a permit is required for your solicitation, contact the Office of the City Clerk at (269) 329-4511. Click here for SOLICITORS AND CANVASSERS ORDINANCE.

Any applicant must:

Completed applications can be e-mailed (forms must be notarized) to


None at this time. 


Liquor License

Please check with the State of Michigan Liquor Control Commission (866-813-0011) prior to completing a City of Portage Liquor License to ensure correct license types and prerequisites are first met.  

Secondhand Dealer License

Per Sec. 14-203 of the Portage Code of Ordinances, no business engaging in the business of purchasing, storing, selling, exchanging and receiving secondhand goods shall be operated or maintained in the City of Portage without first obtaining a license to operate issued by the city.  This includes pawnbrokers and secondhand precious metal/gem dealers (jewelers).

There is no application or renewal fee at this time.

Secondhand Dealer License Renewal

A Secondhand Dealer License is valid for a period of one year. Per Sec. 14-210, any secondhand dealer desiring to renew a license shall apply to the City Clerk no later than 60 days before the license expires.