Block Parties

Block Party Application

The City of Portage encourages community and promotes block parties as a way for neighbors to get to know each other. Block Party applications must be submitted to the City Clerk's Office at least 30 days prior to the event. In addition to the application, applicants must submit proof of homeowners insurance and a petition signed by at least fifty-one percent of the property occupants with driveways on the streets requested. 

Click here to view the Block Party Ordinance

Click here for the Block Party Application


Barricades are available through the Department of Public Works.  Please call (269) 329-4444.  Applicants are responsible for barricade pick-up and drop-off. Street access must be made available for emergency vehicles at all times.  

Department of Public Works
7719 South  Westnedge Avenue
Portage, MI 49002 

Noise Ordinance

Review the noise ordinance. Every block party must abide by the City of Portage Code of Ordinances Noise Ordinance. Please take time to review the noise ordinance before planning your block party by following the link above.

Alcoholic Beverages

Be aware that if alcoholic beverages are served, it must be done in compliance with Local and State Ordinances.