- Transportation & Utilities
- Hampton Creek Wetland Area
Hampton Creek Wetland Area
The Hampton Creek Wetland Area located north of West Centre Avenue and east of Angling Road consists of an approximate 85-acre wetland surrounded by commercial, medical and residential developments and The Moors Golf Club. The Hampton Creek Wetland Area receives stormwater runoff from approximately 2.55 square miles of primarily residential developments. Currently, the Hampton Creek Wetland Area does not have a dedicated stormwater surface outlet and as a result, the wetlands have experienced extended periods of high water levels that are impacting the surrounding residential and commercial properties and making portions of the golf course unusable.
On July 23, 2019, City Council awarded a contract to Fishbeck (formerly Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber) to perform an environmental impacts evaluation and joint permit application for the Hampton Creek Wetland Area. The environmental impact evaluations have been completed and joint permit application preparation is underway.
On December 9, 2019, the City of Portage received its temporary permit from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) to pump water from the Hampton Bog. The pumping began on December 9, 2019 and will continue until the water level is lowered by 4 inches.
Watch the video of the July 23, 2019 Hampton Creek Wetland Area Public Meeting
Review the November 19, 2019 Fishbeck Presentation (PDF).
Review the Hampton Creek Wetland Area FAQ's located to the right.
Stay up to date on the activities affecting the Hampton Creek Wetland Area.
- Click the Notify Me icon above
- Sign in or sign up
- Subscribe to the Hampton Creek Wetland Area category
- Technical Memo 1 Wetland Delineation
- Technical Memo 2 Evaluation of Water Chemistry and Physical Parameters
- Technical Memo 3 Portage Creek Stream Stability Assessment
- Technical Memo 4 Hydraulic Report
- Special Assessment Apportionment Methodology
- Phase I Hydrogeologic Evaluation
- Hydrologic Delineation
- Environmental Impacts Summary
- Alternative Outfall Routes Analysis