Utilities - Water & Sewer

Water Service

To start or stop existing water service, please contact the City of Portage Treasury Office at 269-329-4455.

Related Documents
Automatic Reinstatement of Responsibility for Utility Billing Charges Application
Third-Party Notification of Utility Billing Notices Application
Senior Citizen Water Billing Discount Application
Water & Sewer Service Guide (PDF)

To establish new water service where it does not exist, please contact the Department of Community Development at 269-329-4466.

Related Documents
Connection to Municipal Water Guide (PDF)
Connection to Municipal Sewer Guide (PDF)

Water Quality Information

The city owns 20 production wells located throughout the city.  The Garden Lane Water Treatment Facility removes arsenic from the groundwater before distribution to the public water system. All water that is pumped is tested daily to ensure the highest quality water is delivered to Portage residents.

Related Documents
Current Utility Rates (PDF)
Annual Drinking Water Quality Report (PDF)

2019 Water
Treatment Facility
Open House

Special Assessments

Water and Sewer service extensions in the City of Portage are partially funded by special assessments to the benefit properties. The City Charter includes a procedure to adopt a special assessment district consistent with State of Michigan laws.

Related Documents
Water Improvement Fact Sheet (PDF)
Residential Sanitary Sewer Improvement Fact Sheet (PDF)
Commercial Industrial Sewer Improvement Fact Sheet (PDF)

Well and Septic Abandonment

Private wells and septic systems are under the purview of the Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services Department.  Please call 269-373-5337 with questions pertaining to well and septic systems.

Related Documents
Plugging Abandoned Wells (PDF)