The Treasury Office is responsible for all monetary collections on behalf of the City of Portage including:
- Building Permits
- Miscellaneous Billings
- Property Taxes
- Special Assessments
- Water and Sewer Billings
- Other City Charges
- Dog Licenses (December 1 through February 28)
Special Service Request Applications
Senior Citizen Water Billing Discount Application (Complete, print & mail or deliver)
The City of Portage is now participating in the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). This program allows Portage residents to apply for water/sewer bill payment assistance. A LIHWAP payment will guarantee service to qualified residential utility account holders for at least 90 days after receipt of payment.
Qualified water bill account holders must:
• Be a residential account.
• Be in arrears or disconnect status.
• Be under 150% of the Federal Poverty Level and/or actively receiving Family Independence Program/Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (FIP/TANF), Food Assistance Program/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (FAP/SNAP), State Emergency Relief (SER), or Social Security Supplemental Income (SSI).
How to apply
Contact the Community Action Agency of South Central Michigan at caascm.org or call 877-422-2726 to apply for this program assistance.
The City of Portage is now participating in the Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund, which allows Portage residents to apply for assistance with loss of utility or home energy services, homeowner mortgage delinquencies, defaults and foreclosure, and delinquent property taxes.
The program will pay up to a $25,000 grant per household for the following:
- Delinquent mortgage/housing expenses, including property tax and insurance escrow shortages.
- Delinquent land contract payments, mobile home consumer loan payments or mobile home park lot payments.
- Delinquent property taxes.
- Delinquent condominium/homeowners' association fees.
- Delinquent homeowner's insurance.
- Delinquent utilities - gas, electric, water and sewer.
- Delinquent internet broadband services.
Direct past due water bill assistance for household accounts in arrears or disconnect status, including reconnection fees when services have been disconnected.
Qualified applicants must:
- Have household incomes less than 150% of Area Median Income (AMI).
- Own and occupy the property as their primary residence.
- Have and explain a financial hardship directly related to COVID-19 on or after January 21, 2020.
How to Apply
- Use the secure online application portal MSHDA - MIHAF (michigan.gov) to submit your application for assistance.
- First review the CERA Michigan Required Documents Eligibility Form and be prepared to provide supporting documentation, such as photo ID, social security number, monthly income/benefit statement, and delinquent housing expense statements.
- Check the status of your submission MSHDA - Check Status of Past App (michigan.gov)
- Program questions please call Customer Service 844-756-4423 or email MSHDA-HO-HAF-Program@michigan.gov