The 8th Annual Winter Blast Half Marathon, 10k and 5k, presented in partnership by the City of Portage, Kalamazoo Area Runners and Susan G. Komen Michigan, will be held on Sunday, February 23. Runners and spectators are invited to join in this extraordinary community celebration of health and wellness. The courses highlight the Portage trail system and include a mix of mostly flat paved bike trails and roads. Registration for the half marathon will close once it reaches a cap of 1,500 participants.
Winter Blast will start and end at Loy Norrix High School, 606 East Kilgore Road. Parking will be available at Loy Norrix. The half marathon will begin at 8 AM, the 5k at 8:10 AM, followed by the 10k at 8:20 AM. Post-race refreshments, entertainment and awards will be presented in the cafeteria at Loy Norrix.
Road Closures and Traffic Alerts Sunday, February 23
Drivers are encouraged to seek alternate routes and be prepared for traffic delays during this period. Please drive with caution, watch for police, volunteers, runners and traffic control devices. Periodic road closures and traffic changes will be necessary on Sunday, February 23 as shown below. All roads will return to normal operations no later than 12 PM on race day.
Four-way Red Flashing Mode Traffic Signals:
- 7:45 AM - 12 PM. Lovers Lane/Kilgore Road
- 8:15 - 11:45 AM East Centre Avenue/Currier Drive/Mustang Drive
- 8:15 - 11:45 AM West Centre Avenue/South Westnedge Avenue
- 8:15 - 11:45 AM. Shaver Road/West Melody Avenue
Intermittent Closures to Facilitate Crossing Runners:
- 8 to 8:30 AM Lovers Lane, in the vicinity of the southern entrance to Loy Norrix High School
- 8:15 to 11:45 AM. Garden Lane, in the vicinity of Celery Flats
The southbound curb lane on Lovers Lane from Kilgore Road to Kingsbury Drive will be closed from 7:15 to 9 AM.