Youth Advisory Committee
The Committee is tasked with providing input to the City Council and City Administration regarding programs, services, projects and issues. Topics addressed by past Youth Advisory Committees include:
- Youth Activities & Youth Opinions
- Drug abuse and underage drinking prevention
- Environmental / Climate Awareness
The Youth Advisory Committee offers students the chance to:
- Be decision-makers for youth issues, needs, and opportunities.
- Build leadership skills.
- Earn community service hours.
- Learn about local government.
- Learn about local philanthropy.
- Give back to the community.
The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) consists of 30 high school and middle school youth representatives.
- 6:00 p.m.
- Portage City Hall - 7900 S. Westnedge Avenue
- One Monday per month (September through June)
|2022 - 2023 Meeting Schedule (tentative)|
|Sept. 12||Oct. 10||Nov. 14||Dec. 12||Jan. 9|
|Feb. 13||Mar. 13||Apr. 20||May 15||Jun. 12|
The Youth Advisory Committee is very active in the community and organizes several city-wide events. The YAC also volunteers at the Portage Community Center and learns about the role of local government.
- Opens in New Window Respect for Law Event - Friday, August 5, 2022 @ 6 pm - 8:30 pm
- Ramona Park (8600 S. Sprinkle Road)
- Public Safety demonstrations and displays in the park - It’s like "Touch a Truck" but Public Safety style!
- K9 Unit, Mounted Police, SWAT, Firefighters & trucks, bike safety, Command Unit, boater safety and MORE!
- Interactive and educational displays, such as a fire obstacle course, bike registration, self-defense education, etc.
- Refreshments available for purchase.
- Green-A-Thon & Market Sneak Peek - Sunday, May 1, 2022 @ 11 am to 3 pm
- Snow Party - Saturday, February 5, 2022 @ 12 - 3 pm
- Oakland Drive Park (7650 Oakland Dr.)
- Bring-your-own cardboard sled competition, Snowman building contest, scavenger hunt
- No Snow / No Problem - alternate activities planned
Youth in Government Participant Sign-Up
Please provide the requested information in our online form, to take part. A parent/guardian release form will be mailed to applicants and must be completed and returned prior to participation in the program.
The primary appointment period is in the month of May. Applications are always welcome but will be held until the next available appointment period. Terms begin July 1.