Responsibilities of the Office of the City Assessor
The Office of the City Assessor is primarily responsible for performing and maintaining property assessments for the equitable distribution of property tax burden, as per the current Michigan General Property Tax Laws.
The Office of the City Assessor:
- Compiles the annual assessment roll on which taxes will be levied
- Conducts field audits of both existing properties and new construction
- Maintains property descriptions and maps for taxing purposes
- Processes personal property statements
- Provides the City Treasurer with taxable value on all properties within the city which are used to produce the annual tax bills
- The City Assessor also acts as the Secretary to the Board of Review by City Charter.
Portage Assessing Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday: Open 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: Open 8 AM - 12 NOON
To request an in-person meeting with assessing staff, please call, email, submit a contact form, or stop by the office during business hours. The Assessing Office will respond to taxpayer inquiries within 7 business days.
To request an in-person inspection of your property or request records (please see the Property Records link to the left).
The City of Portage contracts with WCA Assessing of Westland, Michigan to perform the duties of the Portage Office of the City Assessor. WCA Assessing has staffed municipal assessing offices since 1982.