How do I pay my Utility bill?
  • The City of Portage Treasury Office accepts payments via cash, check, money order or credit/debit card.  Payment by credit or debit card can be made electronically through a third party vendor on our website or by calling 844-943-3997 . Please note the third party charges a processing fee.
  • Please make checks payable to:  City of Portage.  Payment by check authorizes the City of Portage to convert the check into an electronic funds transfer.  Please be aware that your bank account may be debited as soon as the same day the City receives your payment.
  • Payment can be made in person at the Treasury Office at City Hall.  
  • A drop box is available at south exit only door at City Hall 24 hours per day for your convenience.  The payment drop-box is opened once a day at 8 a.m.  Payments placed in the drop-box after 8 a.m. will be processed the next business day.
  • If mailing payment, please mail payment to Treasury office, 7900 S Westnedge Avenue, Portage, MI   49002.  To receive proper credit, please include the bottom remittance portion of your billing statement.
  • When mailing your payment, if you wish to receive a paid receipt, please include the full billing statement along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Show All Answers

1. When are my tax bills mailed and due?
2. What are your hours of operation?
3. When should I get my utility bill?
4. Can I pay my bill with a credit card?
5. I have a pool and/or a lawn irrigation system. Do I get billed sewer charges for the water that goes into my pool, or on my lawn?
6. Can I pay my Utility bill via a credit/debit card?
7. When should I get my utility bill?
8. How do I pay my Utility bill?