A mechanical permit is required for the erection, installation, enlargement, alteration, repair, removal, conversion or replacement of a mechanical system governed by the mechanical code. Except for replacement of minor parts, mechanical work shall not be started until a permit for such work has been issued.
Mechanical permits are not required for the following:
- Portable heating or gas appliances that have inputs of less than 30,000 BTU's per hour.
- Replacement of any minor part that does not alter approval of equipment or make the equipment unsafe.
- Portable ventilation equipment and appliances.
- Portable cooling units.
- Portable evaporative cooler.
- Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by the code.
- Replacement of any part that does not alter its approval or make it unsafe.
- Self-contained portable refrigeration units that contain 10 pounds or less of refrigeration or not more than 1.0 horsepower.
Click the following links to view the Mechanical Information Sheet and a Mechanical Permit.