The City of Portage, a progressive community in southwest Michigan, periodically creates a candidate pool from which future vacancies will be filled. At this time, we are operating from a recruitment list created in June 2016. We will accept but are not currently recruiting additional candidates for the position of Full-time or Part-Time Police Officer. We will retain resumes/applications for future consideration for a period of one year, after which time you must reapply.
These are highly responsible positions involving crime prevention, criminal and emergency response, investigation and traffic enforcement. The starting hourly rate is $20.67 per hour and moves to $30.54 within five years with an excellent benefits package.
To be considered for a future pool of candidates for the City of Portage, you must have taken the EMPCO entry-level Law Enforcement Police Officer test within the one year of the date the next application pool closes. To register with EMPCO and participate in a written test, go to: http://www.empco.net A fee will be charged to register with EMPCO, however, their written test results are accepted by many participating police departments throughout the state. We strongly suggest all candidates review and update their profile with EMPCO as many organizations have a minimum criteria set in their candidate search.
In addition to the Employment Application, a Supplemental Application will also be required:
The minimum qualifications for a successful candidate include the following:
- Must possess an Associate Degree in Criminal Justice or related field. A Bachelor Degree in Criminal Justice is preferred.
- Must be MCOLES certified or certifiable.
- Applicants must complete a City of Portage Application.
- Must pass a written assessment test with EMPCO Inc. (as outlined below), an internal oral board (Panel) interview, comprehensive background investigation and post-offer physical and psychological examinations.
- Must pass or have passed the MCOLES physical fitness test.
- Must possess/obtain a valid Michigan driver license with excellent record.
- No felony convictions, including expunged convictions.
- Must obtain residency within 20 miles of city boundaries within specified time frame.
Interested candidates must complete and submit an application to Human Resources, City of Portage, 7900 South Westnedge Avenue, Portage, MI 49002 OR apply on-line using the link below.
For further information, call Human Resources at (269) 329-4533.
The City of Portage is an Equal Opportunity Employer