- Are there currently any job openings?
- How can I apply for a job?
- Can you tell me about the On-Call Firefighter program?
- How does the city recruit and hire Election workers?
- Does the city provide training to election workers?
- Are election workers paid?
- Can I work for the city if I have a felony conviction?
- How old do I have to be to work in these positions?
- Do I have to come in to City Hall to apply for a job?
- Can I check on an application I submitted?
- How often and when does the city test for Police and Firefighter positions?
- How can I volunteer with the city?
1. Are there currently any job openings?
All job openings are listed on the City of Portage web site employment section.
2. How can I apply for a job?
An application can be completed and filed electronically or a copy of the application can be downloaded, completed and mailed to the Human Resources Department. Of course an application can also be completed in person in the Human Resources Department located in City Hall.
3. Can you tell me about the On-Call Firefighter program?
The city recruits qualified individuals for On-Call Firefighter positions on a year round basis. In order to be considered, an applicant must possess Firefighter I, Firefighter II Hazardous Materials and EMT Basic certifications. To become a City of Portage On-Call Firefighter, candidates must pass a written test, a physical agility test and a background investigation process. On-call firefighters are assigned to a station and shift and respond to calls that occur while their shift is on-duty. On-Call Firefighters are not expected to respond while they are working at other employment. The On-Call Firefighter position is an excellent way for an individual to serve the community while also being paid.
4. How does the city recruit and hire Election workers?
Approximately ten weeks prior to an election, the city contacts individuals who successfully worked the previous election to confirm their interest in working the upcoming election. If additional workers are required, applications on file are reviewed and if necessary the city recruits new election officials. Any person registered to vote in Kalamazoo County can fill out an Election Official application electronically or by visiting the Human Resources Department.
5. Does the city provide training to election workers?
The city provides Election Official training within two weeks prior to the election. In order to work the election, Election Officials must receive training at least every two years.
6. Are election workers paid?
Yes Election workers are paid $120 for working the day of the election and $15 for attending training.
7. Can I work for the city if I have a felony conviction?
A person is not prohibited from working for the city if they have a felony conviction. However, there are certain positions where individuals convicted of a felony cannot be employed. For other positions the relationship between the type of felony conviction and position are considered, as is the number and nature of felony convictions, the amount of time since the felony conviction, and the potential risk the applicant would pose to the city or public.
8. How old do I have to be to work in these positions?
For most positions an applicant must be at least 18 years old.
9. Do I have to come in to City Hall to apply for a job?
No, applicants are welcome to apply on-line.
10. Can I check on an application I submitted?
The city sends each applicant a letter thanking them for applying and acknowledging that their application has been received. Each application is carefully reviewed and applicants are contacted if they are amongst the most qualified applicants. An applicant can call the Human Resources Department to check on an application, but there is very little information that can be given over the telephone.
11. How often and when does the city test for Police and Firefighter positions?
The city will advertise and give the entry level exam for Police and Firefighter positions in anticipation of hiring activity. Once it is decided that it is necessary to recruit and a test date is established, the city contacts current applicants to inform them of the test date.
12. How can I volunteer with the city?
Volunteer opportunities, including Boards & Commission opportunities are posted on the city web site under the volunteer tab on the Human Resources page. Volunteer applications can be completed on-line or at the Human Resources Department. Individuals interested in volunteering with the city are encouraged to complete a volunteer application even if there is not a volunteer opening listed, since the skills and abilities of a potential volunteer opportunity may spark the identification of a volunteer opportunity.