During the month of September, the City of Portage launched the annual update of the Capital Improvement Program (CIP). The CIP is a 10-year financing plan that identifies both short and long-range physical development and capital investments:
- Major and local streets, including non-motorized transportation.
- Municipal water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage facilities.
- Parks, bikeways and multi-use trails.
- Technology and Public facilities, such as City Hall, Senior Center, Public Services.
- Department of Public Safety facilities, vehicles and equipment.
The CIP is an important implementation tool for various City of Portage planning efforts:
- The 2014 Comprehensive Plan, which addresses long term goals and needs pertaining to land use, the transportation network, recreation and open space, natural/cultural resources, economy and market place, utility infrastructure and community facilities.
- Strategic plan studies such as the 2015 Wellhead Protection Plan, 2013 Water Reliability Study and Storm Water Design Criteria Manual.
- Periodic municipal facility audits, annual reports (utility operation and maintenance reports, annual traffic count and signal studies) and citizen surveys.
A link to the current FY 2016-2026 Capital Improvement Program document, and the above referenced documents are provided on the right under Documents.
2017-2027 Capital Improvement Program Development
Input from Portage residents, business owners and other interested persons is critical to the development of the Capital Improvement program. A community-supported CIP helps ensure that decisions made on capital investments will maintain and enhance the community.
To garner public input and encourage citizen engagement, an Open House was held on Thursday, September 29, 2016 from 4 to 7 p.m. at Portage City Hall, 7900 South Westnedge Avenue. The purpose of the Open House was to gather initial public comments about future capital improvement projects in the city. In addition to the Open House, an on-line survey was available during the month of September 2016. To view the survey results click on the 2017-2027 CIP Survey Summary link under Documents to the right. The input received through the Open House and on-line survey will be used in developing the 2017-2027 CIP.
To learn more about the planning process, proposed projects and investments, please see the Schedule and Meetings to the right. For more information, please feel free to contact the Department of Community Development at 329-4477 or via email.