2019 Novel Coronavirus Information
The City of Portage, in partnership with Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services Department (HCS), and the State of Michigan is committed to keeping you informed with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and the latest information.
- To read the latest information from Kalamazoo County HCS, visit https://www.kalcounty.com/hcs/covid19.php. Health-related questions should be directed to Kalamazoo County HCS call center at (269) 373-5267.
- To read the latest information from the State of Michigan, visit https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) also launch a statewide hotline at 888-535-6136 to respond to health-related questions about COVID-19.
Guidance for Business
- The State of Michigan has launched a webpage with guidance specifically for businesses as it relates to Governor Whitmer’s Stay Safe, Stay Home Executive Order. Please visit the site at https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98178_98737---,00.html.
- The Michigan Economic Development Corporation provides resources for businesses during the COVID-19 outbreak. MEDC can be reached directly at (888) 522-0103.
- The United States Small Business Association is implementing a variety of programs and measures to assist small businesses.
- Southwest Michigan First has a webpage devoted to business resources, including information about the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
- Consumers Energy offers resources to small businesses for assistance with energy bills additional short-term help.
The City of Portage continues to follow recommendations from the State of Michigan and Kalamazoo County HCS to slow the spread of COVID-19 to protect the overall public health of residents and city employees. To mitigate the risks of the COVID-19 outbreak, Portage continues to provide only core city services with very limited staffing.
- **NEW** The Spring Cleanup Program of unwanted household items has been postponed indefinitely. Visit portagemi.gov/283 for details.
- The Quarterly Brush Collection Program will be delayed by one week. Visit portagemi.gov/280 for details.
- All City of Portage facilities are currently closed to the public. The Police Division lobby is open for EMERGENCIES only. Non-emergency reports can be made at (269) 448-8911.
- The public is encouraged to conduct business via phone, e-mail, U.S. Mail, the 24-hour drop box at City Hall or online at portagemi.gov.
- Public Safety (police and fire) emergency operations will continue without interruption. Minor crime reports (minor thefts, damage reports, etc.) should be initiated by calling (269) 448-8911. Reports requiring an officer response will be conducted with minimal face to face contact with reporting parties.
- Utility payments can be made online. All processing fees for payments made online with a credit/debit card or by e-check, will be waived through April 30, 2020.
- The City of Portage is not performing any water shut-offs due to non-payment through April 30 and all late fees on utility bills will be waived for this period. Utility payments are being processed.
- Building and property inspections, unless related to important health, safety and welfare needs (such as the loss of heat, water or electrical service) are temporarily suspended. Staff continues to process development applications. Citizens are asked to submit application material at portagemi.gov/178.
- The Portage Senior Center is closed, and all activities are canceled until further notice. All trips that are part of the center’s travel program are canceled through the end of May.
- All Parks & Recreation activities are canceled through April 13. All rental reservations are canceled. However, all of our parks and green spaces are open, EXCEPT:
- South Westnedge Skate Park
- South Westnedge Dog Park
- All playground equipment, park shelters and picnic tables
The availability of city services may change further as the COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve. Please watch the city website (portagemi.gov) for updates to this information. Like and follow us on Facebook (facebook.com/CityofPortageMI). Questions regarding city operations may be directed to the Office of City Manager at (269) 329-4400.