Youth Advisory Committee
The Committee is tasked with providing input to the City Council and City Administration regarding programs, services, projects and issues. Topics addressed by past Youth Advisory Committees include:
- Youth Activities & Youth Opinions
- Drug abuse and underage drinking prevention
- Environmental Awareness
The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) consists of over 30 high school and middle school youth representatives.
- 6:00 p.m.
- 1st or 3rd Monday of months September through June
(Special Meetings called as needed in July and August)
- City Hall
7900 S. Westnedge Avenue
Portage, MI 49002
The Youth Advisory Committee is very active in the community and organizes several city-wide events. Examples include the annual Earth Day festival "Green-A-Thon," Snow Party and Public Safety Summer Movie Night. Among other items, the YAC also volunteers at the Portage Community Center and learns about the role of local government.
- Snow Party - Saturday, February 1, 2020 @ 12 - 3 pm
- Oakland Drive Park (7650 Oakland Dr.)
- Bring-your-own cardboard sled competition, Snowman building contest, Bonfire, Snacks and hot chocolate available for purchase
- No Snow / No Problem - alternate activities planned
- Green-A-Thon - 3rd weekend in April (STAY TUNED!)
- In honor of 2020 being the12th annual Green-A-Thon and 50th Anniversary of Earth Day, planning for a special celebration is underway - Stay Tuned!
- Features music, games, free tree seedlings, face painting, activities, giveaways and numerous representatives from local organizations and businesses to provide entertainment and education about environmental ideas that can be utilized at home or work. Food/drink vendors will be on hand for refreshments.
- The YAC is hosting this event to raise awareness of environmental issues affecting the citizens of Portage and to provide opportunities to become more ecologically friendly.
Opens in New Window
- Vendor Sign-up Opens in New Window
- Public Safety Summer Movie Night - August 7, 2020
- Public Safety demonstrations and movie night in the park! It’s like "Touch a Truck" but Public Safety style! Numerous public safety displays.
- The movie will get started at dusk. Movie selection TBD.
- Free popcorn! Additional refreshments available for purchase.
Youth in Government Participant Sign-Up
Please provide the requested information in our online form, to take part. A parent/guardian release form will be mailed to applicants and must be completed and returned prior to participation in the program.
The primary appointment period is in the month of May. Applications are always welcome but will be held until the next available appointment period. Terms begin July 1.